Rated 4.8 on Trustpilot

FREE Next Day Delivery on orders over £30

100% no fuss 30 day money-back guarantee

What Foods are poisonous to my dog?

what foods are poisonous to my dog?

Let’s look at what human foods which may taste yummy to dog’s but actually can be really harmful…

Onions, Garlic & Chives

The onion family, whether dry, raw or cooked, is particularly toxic to dogs and can cause gastrointestinal irritation and red blood cell damage. Signs of illness are not always immediate and can occur up to a few days later.


However enticing chocolate is for humans and dogs alike, chocolate is another poisonous food for dogs. Chocolate contains a stimulant called theobromine (dark chocolate has the highest content of this) which is toxic to dogs and can cause kidney failure.

Macadamia Nuts

Macadamia nuts contain a toxin that can affect your dog’s muscles and nervous system resulting in weakness, swollen limbs and panting.

Corn On The Cob

Corn on the cob could potentially be fatal if eaten by your dog. Although the corn is digested by dogs, the cob can cause a blockage in your dog’s intestine.


Avocados are another poisonous food for dogs. Avocado plants contain a substance called Persin which is in its leaves, fruit and seed and can cause vomiting and diarrhoea in dogs.

Artificial Sweetener (Xylitol)

Sweet treats, chewing gum and drinks, together with low-fat, diet and sugar-free products are often laced with an artificial sweetener called Xylito, which causes an insulin release in our bodies.  This can also include some peanut butters, so always check the label before using this as a treat. If your dog digests one of these sweetened foods they can go into hypoglycaemia, which is linked to liver failure and blood clotting disorders.


Alcohol has a huge impact on dogs even in small doses. The drink not only causes intoxication as it does in humans, but it can lead to sickness, diarrhoea and even central nervous system damage.

Cooked Bones

Giving your dog a raw uncooked bone to chew on is great, but avoid cooked bones at all costs! They can easily splinter and in large quantities cause constipation, or at worst, a perforation of the gut, which can be fatal.

Grapes & Raisins

Raisins are in many of the foods that we love to eat such as cakes, biscuits and cereals, so it’s not just the fruit form we should be concerned with. The active ingredient, which causes the toxin is unknown, however both grapes and raisins may cause severe liver damage and kidney failure.

Previous post Next post

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published