However, if your dog’s showing signs of aggressive behaviour, anxiety, stress or even extreme nervousness, there are things you can do to help them. One of the obvious ones that comes to mind is to consider dog behaviour training classes - while these can help some dogs, it’s not necessarily suitable for all. There are things you can do yourself from home - whether in a local park or in your back garden - that can have a significant effect on helping your dog.
This is why we’ve put together 6 of our TOP TIPS to help you raise a calmer, happier dog:
- Walk or exercise your dog so that they're tired. In fact, studies show that increased levels of exercise in dogs are associated with lower levels of aggression, fear and separation anxiety.
- Build a den so your dog has somewhere to hide and feel safe. Sometimes your dog just needs a quiet space with no stimulation, where they can "unplug" from all input.
- Give your dog a long treat or a lickimat - something to concentrate on as chewing releases endorphins and also keeps them busy.
- During noisy events, draw the curtains so that they don’t see any flashes/lights. This is relevant to events like fireworks or loud events/neighbours nearby.
- Try not to panic or show fear...and therefore pick up your dog, as it makes them think they have a reason to be scared.
- Play with them to keep them occupied and exercised. This goes along the same lines as exercise - it keeps them focused on something else.
Alongside these tips, it’s a good idea to support them with natural supplements. The reason being is that there are certain nutrients that work WITH your dog, to help their anxiety, stress or nerves.
These nutrients can act as the missing piece in the puzzle to help your dog feel calm and relaxed - without making them feel drowsy or dopey! Peaceful Pooch is a brand new anxiety support supplement containing...
Lemon Balm Extract (4:1) - Works on GABA levels for calmer behaviour and relaxation. Can also help to soothe your dog during stress-related incidents. The oils, tannins, and flavonoids giving the herb several therapeutic effects, including calming and relaxing.
Taurine - Taurine increases GABA quantity, which has a soothing effect on the nervous system and contributes to the reduction of stress hormones.
L-Tryptophan - Natural amino acid which is involved in the production of the hormone serotonin and can help to reduce aggression and stress.
Passiflora Incarnate (Passion Flower) - known for its ability to relax and reduce tension.
These ingredients, found in Peaceful Pooch can enable you dog to enjoy benefits such as:
- Helping with common separation anxiety - The natural ingredients help contribute to a calming, more relaxed state so that your dog’s worry and anxiety when you leave home is under control.
- Fast-acting formula, with no sedative effect - With the easy-to-use powder, simply sprinkle on their daily food and help keep your dog calm through times of stress or anxiety without making them feel drowsy.
- Natural, high-quality ingredients - Simple, natural ingredients, without nasty fillers or preservatives. The powder is suitable for any dog. Dosage is dependant on their size and/or weight.